Homepage Forum Invention Marketing & Licensing How Do I Sell My Idea?

1 reply, 2 voices Last updated by MacKenzie Brown 7 years, 8 months ago
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Kyle Chavis
    Keymaster
    @Chavis

How Do I Sell My Idea?

MacKenzie Brown
    Keymaster
    @mac

Here are some tips you need to consider if you plan to sell your idea:

• You have to make sure that your idea something new and novel to sell.
    • You need to secure your intellectual property rights and make your idea semi-protected. Unless you have embodied the implementation in hardware or code, you have a concept which may or not be fully protectable.
    • A lot of companies will refuse to sign a non-disclosure agreement as it may limit the use of in-house ideas or ideas under consideration. If possible, a company will refuse to sign an NDA to limit the possibility of future litigation should they “infringe” your idea. Having a good intellectual property attorney is a must.
    • Adjust your expectations. Not all ideas are worth a million dollars and many do not live up to their creators’ expectations all the time.
    • If business is impossible around this single idea, you may need to settle for selling or leasing the intellectual property rights with yourself attached as a developer/demonstrator under the terms and conditions of sale.
    • You may wish to create a business plan around the idea, but this is a speculative venture and may actually limit your personal involvement if the company feels that they do not need the additional cost burden of another employee to implement the idea.
    • Approach companies with a need for your idea — and maybe a company in an unaffiliated industry where the entire concept of the platform and idea will seem appealing.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.